Liquid make-up or foundation can be spread nicely on the skin with a small sponge. When the work is done, the make-up sponge goes back into the cosmetic bag. But you should not forget to clean the sponge regularly.
Brushes, sponges, eyelash brushes and tongs – women often have a few make-up helpers in the bathroom cabinet. The beauty routine usually looks like this: For make-up, the brush and sponge are brought out briefly, make-up, powder and rouge are applied to the face with them and then the utensils end up back in the make-up bag or on the cupboard shelf.
But: Cosmetic products can quickly become germ spreaders . Because cosmetics consists largely of organic substances such as water, oils, waxes and fats, but also of fragrances , minerals and dyes. If these substances come into contact with oxygen and germs, cosmetic products, like food, can “spoil” over time. In addition, dirt and germs can be transferred to make-up sponges and the like. You should therefore clean the beauty aids regularly.
Cleaning the make-up sponge: these home remedies will suffice
You can of course buy a special cleaning product from the drugstore, but this is not necessary for cleaning. A mild soap and warm water are enough to get the makeup sponge clean again.
How to proceed: Rub the soap (alternatively a mild shampoo) generously into the sponge so that it foams slightly. Then rinse it out with warm water until the water runs clear again. Let the sponge dry well , otherwise mold can form.
Cleaning sponges in the microwave?
If you want to do less work, you can also clean the sponge in the microwave. All you need is a microwave-safe mug, water, and a little soap.
- Place the sponge in the cup, fill it halfway with water and add a squirt of soap.
- Microwave the mug at 900 watts for one minute.
- The water should then be dirty brown and the sponge should be clean again. Let it air dry completely.
The washing machine can also be used to clean the make-up sponge. However, you should not wash the sponge with light-colored or delicate clothing and put it in a cloth bag so that it does not get lost in the machine.
Tips for caring for make-up sponges etc.
- There are various recommendations circulating about how often to clean the makeup sponge. As a rule of thumb, however, you can remember: If you use it regularly, you should clean the sponge every two weeks.
- Use a separate sponge or brush for each cosmetic product. This will prevent you from transferring germs from one utensil to another.
- Change cosmetic brushes and sponges regularly. If you use the sponge every day, manufacturers recommend a new sponge after three months.