Our makeup case can be total chaos, we accumulate cosmetic products and we don’t have time to use them all. If this is your case, you should start to be aware that all these products have an expiration date and that not respecting it can be harmful to your skin.
Effects Of Expired Makeup
The use of cosmetics that have expired on their expiration date can have negative consequences on your skin, leading to skin infections, acne breakouts, and even discolorations on your face. Also, your dermis can become too dry, and allergic reactions or eczema can occur.
Noticing any strange symptoms, such as itching or unknown reactions on your skin, are a reason to immediately stop using makeup and consult a specialist doctor, such as dermatologists.
How To Know If The Product Is Out Of Date
The shelf life of each cosmetic begins the day you open it and depending on the type of product, it will have a durability or another. In each container, you will find a mark with the months that you can use the product before it expires.
- Eyelash masks are the least durable, between 3 and 6 months.
- Creamy makeup bases, between 12 and 18 months.
- Compact blush, about 18 months.
- The eyeliner, about 12 months.
- Lipsticks, at least one year.
Tips For Good Makeup Care
In order not to suffer the effects of expired makeup, we will have to preserve and use them in optimal conditions, both in terms of hygiene and the environment. Do you want to know more tips?
- Closing the cans and jars very well after each use is essential. If we do not do so, we contribute to its oxidation as the water evaporates and the product thickens.
- Although they are not brand new, do not store products that are more than 3 years old. The preservatives contained in its composition guarantee a minimum of 36 months.
- Fingers are usually the main contaminant in many cosmetics, so careful hygiene must be taken before and after putting your fingers in a jar.
- If we have herpes or a mouth wound, remember to change all the lipsticks you have used. The same with styes or conjunctivitis and eyeliners or masks.
Also Read: 10 EASY-TO-MAKE COSMETIC RECIPES