Worth the hype? Yes! We reveal why it can be worth investing in trendy massage stones and how to use them correctly.
Almost everyone knows jade rollers by now. But have you ever heard of Gua Sha stones? No? Then it’s high time. The new beauty tool is about to overtake the face rollers.
Here we explain to you what these mysterious stones are all about, what they are suitable for and how you can find the right one for you.
What is Gua Sha?
Gua Sha originally comes from Asia, more precisely from traditional Chinese medicine (TCM). “Gua” means to strike out, while “Sha” means reddening. So the “Gua Sha” massage was originally understood to mean stroking over redness. The application is intended to rid the body of toxins, among other things, by stimulating the lymph flow. Sounds exciting.
The stones are usually made of jade or rose quartz. In traditional Chinese medicine, the materials are said to have different effects on the skin. Attention, now it’s getting a bit esoteric for a moment:
Jade: According to TCM, the greenstone has a cleansing, anti-inflammatory, and decongestant effect. Gua Sha made from jade is therefore particularly recommended for blemished skin.
Rose quartz: It is said that the energy stone supposedly helps to relieve tension and stress – even to reduce fears. Because our psyche and skin also influence each other, it is said to have a calming effect on irritated skin.
Why should I use Gua Sha stones?
- You notice: you have to believe in it a little. It’s like the placebo effect. So if this is simply a bit too much hocus-pocus for you, rely on the following effects of the massage.
- Radiantly beautiful skin: The massage stimulates blood circulation, making the complexion nice and rosy. Goodbye, pale skin!
- Anti-bags under the eyes: A cool Gua Sha stone stimulates the lymph flow and reduces bags under the eyes.
- Detox effect: fans of the stones claim that the stimulating effect on the lymph flow can reduce impurities. However, there are no studies on this.
- Care effect: By incorporating your products with the Gua Sha stone, your skin can absorb the care much better.
- Anti-aging: Face workouts supporters claim that regular massages with the Gua Sha stone train the facial muscles. Will it work? However, there is also a lack of valid study results.
- Anti-stress: By gently wiping the stone over the skin, tension is relieved, and you come to rest. Give it a try next time you feel rushed.
- Anti-headache: The Gua Sha stone is also used as a home remedy for headaches by relieving tension and stress. However, there are no study results on this either.
How does the gua sha massage work?
- Very simple: All you need for the massage is a Gua Sha stone of your choice and your favorite face oil. Then follow the following step-by-step instructions for a Gua-Sha massage:
- Cleansing: Just like your skin, you should also thoroughly clean your Gua Sha stone before use. If you don’t do that, you’re working dirt and bacteria into your skin. Doesn’t have to be.
- Applying oil: To make the stone slide on your skin, apply a little oil to your face and neck. Alternatively, you can also use a rich care product.
- Working with the lymph flow: Now, you can start the actual massage. Basic rule: You always rub the stone from the inside out to stimulate the lymph flow. You can only message your neck from bottom to top, just like you should apply your cream, namely always massage everything upwards.
- Keep the stone flat: brush the Gua Sha stone over the skin at a 45-degree angle, i.e., slightly angled.
- Start at the jaw: from your chin, and you can pull the stone towards your ears. This will relax your jaw.
- Now the cheeks: Now you repeat the whole thing from your nose to the hairline.
- Beware of the eyes: strip from the bridge of the nose to the temples. Reduce the pressure so as not to strain the delicate skin.
- Finally, the forehead: brush the stone from the middle of your forehead over your temple to the hairline. It is good to pull the stone from the forehead over the scalp if you have a headache.
- Cleansing stone: Now you are hopefully deeply relaxed. Nevertheless, it would help if you took the time to clean your stone again to avoid blemishes thoroughly.
Which Gua Sha Stone is Best?
When buying, make sure that the stone has no hard edges and is polished to be nice and smooth so that you do not damage your skin. Whether you prefer jade or rose quartz depends on whether you believe in the healing properties of the stones.
How often should Gua Sha be used?
Preferably every day. Putting the stone in the refrigerator ensures a real freshness kick in the morning and a good start to the day. In the evening, on the other hand, the stone helps you relax and switch off. Whether you choose in the morning or the evening: It is important to use it regularly to see the promised results.
Can a Gua Sha massage also harm the skin?
Not when used correctly. It is important not to pull too hard on the skin. Be careful with acne. Because sliding over the inflammation can hurt and spread bacteria on your face. However, this is not a problem with isolated and light impurities.
So now you know everything you need to know about Gua Sha massage. In any case, we in the beauty editorial team are all big fans. On the one hand, of course, because regular use makes the complexion so beautifully rosy. On the other hand, it is also simply because the stones have proven themselves in the fight against headaches.