We have more than 43 facial muscles that are involved, among other things, in gesticulation. Based on the fact that muscles have the ability to regenerate and tone up, we can say that facial yoga has a physiological basis.
We delve into the truths and myths about facial gymnastics , also known as facial yoga or “yotox” and the related utensils.
Basic principles of facial yoga
Facial yoga specialists say that with this technique we can keep facial muscles toned and delay aging , as well as relieve tension and stress.
Basically, yotox consists of a series of facial exercises combined with principles of acupuncture ( acupressure ) to strengthen facial muscles, improve circulation, and the appearance and texture of the skin.
Specific areas are worked on, generally those that accumulate the most wrinkles: between the eyebrows and forehead, eyes and mouth. The goal is to improve the appearance of these areas, but above all, to prevent wrinkles and flaccidity.
Facial massagers: do they work?
From electrostimulation devices to raw minerals. Today, we find countless utensils to massage the face that complement facial yoga.
What you have surely seen everywhere is the famous facial roller , generally made of jade, rose quartz, amethyst, obsidian, stainless steel or even ice .
The effect of the massage is added, say its followers, the effects of the material itself on the skin: refreshes, calms, drains, reduces anxiety…
Some attribute medicinal effects to them. Here it must be said that there is no scientific evidence of the healing effects of any of these materials.
Facial gymnastics: basic exercises
- To activate circulation and release tension: warm up by massaging the scalp using concentric circles. Just like if you were applying shampoo.
- To wake up the face: with your thumb and index finger: press the lobes of your ears and gently lift them towards the tips of these.
- To raise the cheekbones: make a crooked smile. 15 repetitions on each side.
- To relax the eye contour: place your hands around the eyes as if you were looking through binoculars and open the eyelids with your fingers. 30 repetitions.
Anti-sagging exercises for the neck and to redefine the facial oval:
- Place both fists under your chin and try to open your mouth, feeling the resistance. 30 repetitions.
- With chin up, blow up. 30 repetitions.
- Also with your chin up: smile down. 10 repetitions.
- For vertical mouth wrinkles (the dreaded barcode): Puff out your cheeks like you’re blowing up a balloon. 15 repetitions.
- Also for the barcode: hold a pencil in the center of your lips with your mouth closed and pull it up by pulling the corners up. 10 repetitions.
- For horizontal forehead wrinkles: With your fingertips on your forehead, gently push up, keeping your gaze down. 30 repetitions.
- For vertical forehead wrinkles: Place your fingertips on your forehead again and try to frown, despite the resistance of your fingers. 30 repetitions.
Face yoga routine
For facial yoga to have any effect on your face, the secret is consistency . Like any other type of exercise, if we do not maintain discipline over time, we will not notice any improvement in our muscles.
We must follow a daily routine so that we notice our skin is brighter and more irrigated and our facial muscles are more tense. The entire routine can last 15 minutes . Specialists say that if we follow a strict routine, after 28 days we can begin to see changes (this is the time it takes for the skin to regenerate).
In the morning or at night?
Here we find a disparity of opinions. Some people say that in the morning it is not recommended because we will not dedicate the necessary time (the rush).
It is best that you do it when you feel better. You can incorporate it into your makeup removal and cleaning routine at night as a wellness therapy that will help you relax before going to sleep. They advise accompanying this moment with relaxing music and aromatherapy.
Advantages of face yoga
- It’s free. Although it should be done with hydrated and clean skin.
- You can do it anywhere.
- It can become a wellness routine.
- In combination with breathing exercises, helps oxygenate.
- It is valid for any type of person or age: it is never too late.
Disadvantages of facial gymnastics
- If not done correctly, it can cause wrinkles due to excessive gesticulation or pressure.
- It is necessary to combine it with a cosmetic routine and protect yourself from the sun.
- It doesn’t reverse the passage of time . That is, we do not expect miracles. It only contributes to tone and prevention.