Contouring, strobing, baking, draping, striping, non touring. surely more than one of these names are familiar to you, and you have tried any of these techniques. Mastering these ways of applying makeup is a matter of practice, but you should know some necessary tricks to apply bronzer, blush, or highlighter for all of them.
This post will tell you all about the contouring technique, how to do it, and what products to use to achieve a perfect result.
How to contour well
Without any doubt, it is one of the most famous and practiced techniques in the beauty world of makeup. Since the celebrity Kim Kardashian introduced it into the daily routine of her followers, this technique is here to stay permanently in our lives. However, a poorly done contouring that does not consider the peculiarities of each person’s features can lead to an incorrect application of the products.
Contouring is the technique that plays with the lights and shadows of our faces through makeup. For this, you will need a trio of highlighters, blush, and bronzer.
Trick 1: Use a front light source
Always make up your face with frontal light. As it is a technique that works with shadows and highlights, it is convenient that the natural or artificial light that you use to put on your makeup does not come from a source located to the sides or behind you to avoid creating unwanted shadows. Make sure the light falls evenly on your face to work on a blank canvas.
The trick when applying bronzer, highlighter, and blush powders and achieving a clean and integrated finish with our makeup base is to blend them correctly. Do it with patience, a specific brush for each product, and making circular movements.
In the case of the highlighter, we recommend using a fan brush. The thicker it is, the more product you will deposit on the areas to be illuminated, and the more intense the final result will be. If you want a natural finish, you can use a brush with less hair to apply less product.
For the blush or blush, use an angular cut brush. With the widest part, deposit the product on the apple of your cheek and blend towards the ears with the narrowest part.
Trick 2: Apply the products according to your face type
These are the most common:
- Square face: it is usually the type of face whose features are hardest. To contour, apply the darkest powder to the jawbone and create shadows that refine the face and restore softness. Use the highlighter in those areas that soften your face to illuminate them and give them the light that draws attention to them.
- Long face: shorten your face by applying the dark tone to the hairline and chin. You can mark the cheekbone by applying the same shade from the middle of the cheek to the ears. Apply the highlighter on the cheekbones, the nasal septum, and the arch of the eyebrows to illuminate the areas of the face that distract our attention from those areas that we prefer to hide with the darker tone.
- Round face: we advise you to apply the dark tone especially on the temples and from the middle of the cheeks to the ears. As for all other faces, apply the highlighter to the areas you want to highlight.
How to integrate blush with contouring
The blush or blush is one of the funniest steps in makeup since it adds color to the cheeks and can offer the face a sweeter, daring, or natural appearance depending on the tone we choose. Please choose the color of your blush according to your skin type so that it favors and stands out at the end of your makeup. However, remember that makeup is free art, and you can experiment with as many shades as you like.
To integrate it with the dark tone of the contouring, apply it to the apples of your cheeks and blend it upwards with small circular movements.
What products to use for contouring
Currently, you can find an almost infinite number of products to perform contouring. But the most versatile is, without a doubt, a trio of bronzer, highlighter, and blush powders.
It is an all-in-one palette that you can easily transport to your bag to touch up your makeup. It is also very comfortable for traveling since by containing the three products in one, you will carry your bronzer, highlighter, and blush in a single article without having to fill the toiletry bag with individual products that make your luggage heavier and messier. In addition, you will contribute to the reduction of container materials since you will only buy one container instead of three different ones.
Bronzer, highlighter, and blush shades from the Face Smart Palette
- Sunkissed: a universal-toned bronzer with a luminous matte finish.
- Seduce: the rosy-hued blush with golden highlights for an instant healthy effect.
- Champagne: a highlighter with iridescent pearl microparticles.
If you still don’t know her, discover her and fall in love with her. You will want to use it daily!